Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap CAR Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper007

Hi!

I intend to buy cheap car charger (china made...) for my notebook from eBay. What do you mean can this charger whatever damage my notebook?

Most laptops have a lithium battery. Lithium is a very active metal. It catches on fire (a hot violent fire) if it is incorrectly charged or discharged. A car battery charger might cause it to blow up.

huh, is better if i use DC AC Power Inverter and original notebook charger ?

Last edited:
Only if you like smoke and fire.... What we are trying to say is that a lithium battery requires a charger designed to work with that specific battery. That is why I suggested you look for a replacement on Ebay.

Replacement for what ? I don't have any CAR charger but i need it. I have only original 230V power supply.

I have this one:

**broken link removed**

Looking for this one:

**broken link removed**

OOPS, the switch accidently got changed and the higher voltage caused the battery and my car to catch on fire.

Sorry my bad:confused:, I understood that you were wanting to use a automotive battery charger directly on your laptop. That is why I was talking about lead acid.

But the same problem still exists. The charges for modern computers with lithium cells require a smart charger to prevent the battery from overheating and catching fire or worse.

huh, is better if i use DC AC Power Inverter and original notebook charger ?
That should work.

Last edited:
OOPS, the switch accidently got changed and the higher voltage caused the battery and my car to catch on fire.

haha yes i also thought about this scenario, therefore intend to break this switch ( i don't know how to say disable movement with glue or something similar) :D

Last edited:
You need to know where is the charger circuit. It might be in the original charger. Then the power supply you showed won't have the charger circuit and the battery will become over-charged and will catch on fire.

Im looking for a schematic for a direct voltage adapter.
There used for measuring pulse voltage from outboard motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back