Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap AM-FM Clock Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioguru

Most Helpful Member
Hi Guys,
I got an AM-FM clock radio on sale for only $.99. Its "Compact Design" is custom manufactured in China for Sylvania, a division of worldwide Osram/Sylvania.
The Canadian government got $1.50 in taxes and I must buy a stamp for $.50 to mail in the rebate refund coupon. So the thingy cost $2.99.
I'll probably have to pay for a long distance phone call to the importer to get my rebate. Usually only people who complain get them.

Its sound is very crappy. Its FM audio frequency response is only from about 1kHz to about 6kHz. Its AM audio response is only from about 1kHz to 2kHz. Its sound is extremely shrill!
It picks-up only a few local FM stations with a lot of distortion and noise if it isn't accurately tuned to the exact center of the station. It doesn't have AFC like my old much better clock radio that I souped-up. I wonder how many times it must be re-tuned per hour due to drift.
It picks-up only a few local AM stations with a buzz in the background.

Of course I had to peek inside:
I am surprised that it doesn't have surface-mount parts.
1) It has a 3" speaker with a pretty big magnet.
2) It has a radio IC similar to the old Philips TDA7000.
3) It has a power amplifier IC similar to an LM386.
4) It has the usual clock IC and a red LED display.
5) It doesn't have IF transformers for its radio. It does have adjustable coils for its AM and FM local oscillators, and a 455kHz ceramic filter for AM.
6) It doesn't have any transistors.

Why do they make crap like this?
Why do people buy crap like this?

I was going to use it for parts, but it has only a few electrolytic caps and some 1/4W and 1/8W resistors. I'll use its valuable CSA-approved power cord. :lol:

PS. I also bought alkaline batteries on sale, twice! The 1st store (Loblaws food store) had them for half-price but the 2nd store (Wal-Mart) was nearly giving them away. My wifey will return them at the 1st store, maybe she'll get the full price (double what I paid) refunded as usual.

I got home and the kid was delivering today's newspaper with all the flyers with their sales starting today at 7:00AM. My whole neighbourhood got the ads too late, no wonder the stores were empty.

audioguru said:
Hi Guys,
I got an AM-FM clock radio on sale for only $.99. Its "Compact Design" is custom manufactured in China for Sylvania, a division of worldwide Osram/Sylvania.
The Canadian government got $1.50 in taxes and I must buy a stamp for $.50 to mail in the rebate refund coupon. So the thingy cost $2.99....
$1.50 in taxes applies to a $10 purchase, so your radio must have been originally $9.99 :lol:

Its sound is very crappy.
Then audioguru, I shall take your comment about my superregen as a compliment. At least my superregen is not cr*p like your 99 cent radio

hee hee

It picks-up only a few local FM stations with a lot of distortion and noise if it isn't accurately tuned to the exact center of the station.
OUCH! :shock:

It doesn't have AFC like my old much better clock radio that I souped-up. I wonder how many times it must be re-tuned per hour due to drift.
200,000 times?

Of course I had to peek inside:
I rip things apart too :lol:
Mind ya, if you are serious about electronics, you will rip apart electronic products that are no good to you.

I am surprised that it doesn't have surface-mount parts.
I personally don't consider surface mount an issue to performance.

1) It has a 3" speaker with a pretty big magnet.
I guess that's ok

2) It has a radio IC similar to the old Philips TDA7000.
let me guess, it was built in china, shipped to japan for chip installation and shipped to canada :lol:

3) It has a power amplifier IC similar to an LM386.
Is this supposed to be a small radio?

4) It has the usual clock IC and a red LED display.
There must be some PLL action involved. I bet they are using it for station detection purposes. My PLL in my regen is used for station searching purposes. BIG DIFFERENCE!

5) It doesn't have IF transformers for its radio. It does have adjustable coils for its AM and FM local oscillators, and a 455kHz ceramic filter for AM.
and if the coils break.... 99 cents went down the toilet :shock: :shock: :shock:

6) It doesn't have any transistors.
no transistors?

Why do they make crap like this?
so that the creators can turn c**p to money and rip us off?

Why do people buy crap like this?
because they don't know the difference between two radio's, and they wanted one?

I was going to use it for parts, but it has only a few electrolytic caps and some 1/4W and 1/8W resistors. I'll use its valuable CSA-approved power cord. :lol:
I think the radio was a rip-off.

Its better to build. At least you know what you are getting.

mstechca said:
audioguru said:
Its sound is very crappy.
Then audioguru, I shall take your comment about my superregen as a compliment. At least my superregen is not cr*p like your 99 cent radio

hee hee
I had it playing for only 5 minutes and now my dog is still crying and my ears are ringing.

I rip things apart too :lol:
Mind ya, if you are serious about electronics, you will rip apart electronic products that are no good to you.
I was careful. It still "works" after it was put back together.

no transistors?
Just 3 ICs.

I think the radio was a rip-off.
It isn't worth $.99.

I'd take the LED display, clock chip, little speakers can be useful and the power flex. Is that 99c value of parts? Not much over I wouldn't think, and thats assuming they are all willing to leave the radio :lol: , worth a try though, mabye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back