Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chat Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I suggest something like the following be added to the chat rules.

"While you are free to discuss anything this chat room has a technical nature and technical chat has precedence over non technical chat in the lobby."​

Yesterday in chat 2 members were chatting about the UK health care program or something along that line. A member enters the lounge asking about building a battery charger. They ignore or fail to see the question. I pointed out (as a moderator) that we should help the guy. The opinion of one member was that the guy with the question was rude for interrupting.

For a long time Eric and I put electronics and related chat ahead of general **** chat in the lobby. With more moderators active in chat we need to make this official.

If we don't we risk having electronic questions ignored while members discuss their nasal drip.

Hm, I don´t see how this should work. If I am on the chat talking, and such request comes, am I obliged to help him? And if I cannot / don´t want to help him, should I just stop chatting until his issue is taken care of?

Regular chat members often wait for things to die down prior to starting a new topic. We can not expect the same of people who are new to chat. We don't want to ignore these people. So we treat the lobby like CB chan 19. "Breaker 19" I like that. Maybe we should rename the lobby "channel 19"

If you have something that you don't want interrupted just take it to another channel/tab. That is why we have them.

I don't think anyone should be required to help, per say. However, the incomer's presence should at least be acknowledged. If you don't know the answer, you should at least say hi and tell them you don't know, and perhaps refer them to the forums.

That's the way I see it.

Regards,
Matt

am I obliged to help him?

No one is suggesting you should either.

In the "Header" once inside the Chat Room it say's ( Electronics Chat) I'm sorry. It's right at the "Top" you can't miss it.

Those members 3v0 informed are familiar with the Chat rooms features; those members know how or should know how to use the other rooms.

I was there at the time of 3v0's request. I felt he made it very clear, as for whom, and for what, and the why they could move to another room. They just ignored his request; the members in question behavior was rude, and inconsiderate toward 3v0 and the New Member. And if I'm not mistaken for whom the site was created.

This is why I'm saying; if your going to have mods ruling the forum, then give them the power to make the clear cut decisions, without specific rules; you leave few choices.

You will end up with members bucking their authority. Without the cohesion of the mods you have nothing, without specific rules, cohesion is lost.

Last edited:
If people start blathering about this or that in the lobby the people not interested in the topic tune out. They may glance at the screen from time to time but are not really paying attention. So unless the people actively chatting stop and pay attention to the new guy, anything he says will just scroll off the screen ignored or missed by everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back