Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chaser LED IC Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveten

I built this circuit and I am having problems with it. Can I get some advise?
The problem I am having is that when I hook up power to the circuit the leds are chasing. I put a transistor at pin 4 on the 555 ic that turns on with harddrive activity. (I think hd act. is 5v.) I thought that if there is no power to pin 4 the the 555 will not have a high output. If I do not have power at the transistor base, the 555 output is not high and the 4017 should not activate the leds..... so why are they on all the time?

PS. I used someone elses diagram and made calcs for my leds and added a transistor to switch Vs to pin 4 on 555. The original diag. had a on/off switch at dc battery.

Attachments

• chaser_992.gif
    chaser_992.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 744
Why exactly do you need the transistor? The pin wont draw alot of current so you can just directly connect it to the hard drive led wire.
and I think you would need a PNP transistor for this situation. I've already had BJT's in my microelectronics I class last semester, but they just focus on the theory behind it and not how to apply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back