Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging EEE pc from a solar panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Since the EEE pc is actually 12V input, the idea of a solar panel charger came to mind. so I have bought one of those solar car battery trickle chargers, and out in he sun without load, its doing 25V! I reliase once its under load, this will drop dramatically, but the thing is its only doing 140ma under a direct short. Is there any cheap, efficient way to drop the voltage, but maybe gain a little current at the same time? I realize these panels arent made to do much, but surely more than 140ma if its for trickle charing a car battery?!

I dont really wanna risk my EEEpc with 25V, as I dont know wether it has an internal regulator or not, and I have considered a LM317, but I dont have much current to waste.

Any idea;s ?

Since the EEE pc is actually 12V input, the idea of a solar panel charger came to mind. so I have bought one of those solar car battery trickle chargers, and out in he sun without load, its doing 25V! I reliase once its under load, this will drop dramatically, but the thing is its only doing 140ma under a direct short. Is there any cheap, efficient way to drop the voltage, but maybe gain a little current at the same time? I realize these panels arent made to do much, but surely more than 140ma if its for trickle charing a car battery?!

I dont really wanna risk my EEEpc with 25V, as I dont know wether it has an internal regulator or not, and I have considered a LM317, but I dont have much current to waste.

Any idea;s ?

Welcome to the wonderful world of solar panels. Voltage is cheap but current costs real money. I would use at a minimum a simple fixed 12v voltage regulator to protect you investment in your EEEpc (I think those are so cool). You of course could go with a more efficient DC/DC switching regulator, but I think to be useful money would be better spend on more or bigger panels. 125ma is fine for a trickle charge which in reality is just a charge to maintain an already charged battery. Trickle charging a empty battery works, it just takes a lot of hours and sun light. Go to a higher current charging system and it's no longer a trickle charger is it ;)

well after eventually finding a plug that fits (It seems they use a DC jack _JUST_ smaller than the regular ones), I hooked it up and it realizes it is charging. I wonder what it thinks when the battery charge goes DOWN even though its charging :D

Anyways yeah, I know I cant run it at the same time, but I guess its just for times like when i'm camping etc, to charge up the battery a little while its off.

One problem I found, is when the sunlight gets to a certain level, it flickers between battery and AC mode, which I dont think would be good for it, so any idea's how I can stop that?

I wonder what current it draws on standby?

Last edited:
well after eventually finding a plug that fits (It seems they use a DC jack _JUST_ smaller than the regular ones), I hooked it up and it realizes it is charging. I wonder what it thinks when the battery charge goes DOWN even though its charging :D

Anyways yeah, I know I cant run it at the same time, but I guess its just for times like when i'm camping etc, to charge up the battery a little while its off.

One problem I found, is when the sunlight gets to a certain level, it flickers between battery and AC mode, which I dont think would be good for it, so any idea's how I can stop that?

I wonder what current it draws on standby?

so are you using one of those car charger solar panels?
this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a+ZkZ5jyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back