Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging a li-ion cell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Hi guys. I recently bought a new laptop battery, since my old one had 3 mins life after being disconnected from the power. So I decided to rip the old one apart. They seem to still have a 4V charge under no load. They look like a oversized AA, and seem to have built in protection circuitry. Anyone know how I could build a charger that would safely charge these things? I know they are slightly dead, but they re still holding a charge pretty well. Here is a pic of it next to a normal AA
**broken link removed**

safely charging those things is beyond normal experimenter techniques, you need a special charger.

if you want something you can safely charge try the LiFePO4 chemistry:

**broken link removed**

Hi.
Apply not more than 4.2000 Volts to the cell at any current rate that does not warm them up. ---> 4.1V is fine !
(Use a fixated voltage regulator) That's it.
Do not charge several in series. You do can charge several in parallel.

There is fancier ramping methods to charge them to extreme 99.9% capacity but do not get into that specialized circuitry for general purpose use. You do not need any 'special' chargers

Miguel

Last edited:
You shouldn't charge Li-ion:-

When below -10 deg C
When above +40 deg C
Faster than 1 hour
Faster than at the 100 hour rate if the voltage is less than 3.2V

as well as the suggestions from Externet

Charging,

I'm at the moment charging a Li - ion battery from a camera from which the charger got lost.

I usually stick with a charging current of between 5 and 10 % from the Ah Capacity.

At 5% you can leave it safely on charge for 24 hours.
At 10% rate I would check after 1 hour or so that the cell is not excessively warm otherwise reduce the charging current.

For current below 50 mA , I often put a LED in series which gives a visual indication of charging.

I use a normal DC power supply and use a series resistor in line 56 or 100 :eek:hm: 1/2 watt is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back