Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging a battery using another battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetz

I have a 6V battery and I'm wondering if I could charge my mobile phone's 3.7V battery using it. Is it as simple a case as just connecting the + of the 6V to the - of the 3.7V and the same with the other terminals? Or would I need to use resistors?

Also, would it work if I took the charger adaptor and just connected the + and - of that to the 6V battery and then plugged it into the phone?

Or would all this just result in a massive explosion? :(

I have a 6V battery and I'm wondering if I could charge my mobile phone's 3.7V battery using it. Is it as simple a case as just connecting the + of the 6V to the - of the 3.7V and the same with the other terminals? Or would I need to use resistors?

Also, would it work if I took the charger adaptor and just connected the + and - of that to the 6V battery and then plugged it into the phone?

Or would all this just result in a massive explosion? :(

hi,:)
I wouldnt even think about it, some of these mobile batteries are not forgiving.!:eek:

For starters you need a voltage regulator and some means of limiting the current.

Put the 6V battery into your phone and connect it to the 6V battery, you might need a voltage reaulgtor but the chances are it'll be alright without because most phone power supplies aren't regulated.

I know that mobile phone chargers really just provide a DC current, so I figured a 6V battery wouldn't be much different. I believe that the voltage regulator and other charging mechanisms are in the battery, so connecting the 6V by the connector should theoretically work. I might try it on an old phone first! :)

Also, while on this topic, is it as simple a case with USB chargers? I know USB ports provide 5V, but I don't know if it's just a basic voltage or if there's more to it.

Tetz said:
I believe that the voltage regulator and other charging mechanisms are in the battery, so connecting the 6V by the connector should theoretically work.
That isn't true, the regulator mechanism is in the phone, not the battery.

Oops, that's what I meant to say! :eek: I got carried away with the word battery! :)

Last edited:
Or would all this just result in a massive explosion?

Thirty five years ago "George" came to class with a stained shirt full of holes that were made by battery acid [since the shirt was still 99.9% "there", why not wear it to class???].

I asked him what had happened and told him that even I knew that he would not get a woman while he was dressed like that.

He said he was making a go-kart out of a starter motor and four car batteries and he accidently wired one battery in backwards.

Hm, that doesn't sound terribly good! I suppose messing around with batteries isn't a great idea. I was just trying to think of a way to charge my phone next week since I won't be near a socket for quite a few days ... and I'll be needing to use my phone quite a lot too. But replacement batteries are just so expensive ...

Funny you should mention this.

Here in RSA you can buy a cellphone charger based on batteries, completely portable.
I do not have the exact spec, but must maybe look into it for you.

Don't ever try to charge a 3.7V lithium battery unless you have a proper charger circuit for it. It will catch on fire if it is incorrectly charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back