Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charged battery the wrong way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantto

Hi, I did the stupidest thing today. I charged a batterypack of 4 NiCds the wrong way, I put the negative to positive and positive to negative. Then I wondered why my R/C equpment didn't work. Then I measured the voltage and it showed -0.6v &: Are these bateries now gone for? Or will they work normally if i charge them again the right way? Will their capacity drop? or any other side effects?

Thx, Hantto :)

Batteries

Well, they might be shot, but it wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and try charging 'em again... the right way of course (hehe). If they won't take a charge after that, then yes, I'm afraid they may be damaged. Hope for the best tho!

Cheerz,

Bob

I just happened to be looking at some ni-cd charging schematics and info today... from what I read, it looks as though charging a nicd battery in reverse is a pretty sure way to kill it. that's part of the reason it's good to condition the individual cells once in a while, because sometimes one cell will get discharged before the others, but current will still be flowing through it, so it will actually start to charge in reverse from the other cells... which usually kills it.

you can try charging them again normally, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back