Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

charge NiMH 3.6 350 mA battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I want to charge a NiMH 3.6 350 mA battery and I want to find a circuit 220 V (AC) to charge the battery:)

Hi,

A company called Linear Technology (linear.com) do a range of off-the-shelf charger IC's - most NiMH charger ICs only require a couple of extra components and could easily be bodged into an existing wall-wart type power supply enclosure.
Please note that I dont think you will find (an IC) one with 220VAC input and charger output ;-)
There are some good app note on the Maxim website about battery charging as well.

Good luck with it!

S.

Wall wart to convert it down to somewhere around 7-9 volts then an LM317 running in current limiting mode to provide a 35ma constant current charge.

Energizer and other battery manufacturers recommend using a trickle charge current no more than C/40 which is only 8.75mA for this tiny battery.
You need a battery charger IC to detect when the battery is fully charged then swith off the chearger or switch to a low trickle charge current.

The battery charger IC will be able to charge quicker than all night long.

Just get a cheap nokia phone charger, put 2 of the batteries you want to charge in series and your'e done. The charging current might be a bit high, but I've used it many times (and if your'e not worried that you will not get a 1000 recharges from it). Just note it will not stop charging when the batteries are full.
Do not play around with 220V.

A Ni-MH battery charger knows when the battery is full and turns off the charging.
A Nokia power supply is made to feed the lithium charger circuit in a cell phone and will overcharge a Ni-MH battery.

Most of the newer phones I have dealt with power a charger IC which is inside the phone.
Do the older phone power supplies have a charger IC built in?

We should be talking about apower supply for a phone, not a charger.

If you want to charge a battery properly then you need a power supply and a charger circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back