Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge capacitor from low voltage solar cell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magician13134

Hi I'm trying to charge a capacitor to 5V from a small solar cell that only puts out 1.4V. Can this be done? It's a 2.2F capacitor and the cell puts out 20mA in decent sunlight. Can this be done easily? Do I need a boost circuit? If so, what's the best way to do this? Thanks

It depends on the leakage current of the capacitor.

If it's a memory back-up capacitor then you're probably all right, if if it's a car audio capacitor then it won't work.

You'll need a boost converter to charge it to 5V.

How long have you got to wait?

A rough calculation tells me it'll take roughtly 38 hours to charge to 5V.

Last edited:
It depends on the leakage current of the capacitor.

If it's a memory back-up capacitor then you're probably all right, if if it's a car audio capacitor then it won't work.

You'll need a boost converter to charge it to 5V.

How long have you got to wait?

A rough calculation tells me it'll take roughtly 38 hours to charge to 5V.
Your calculations seem a little too rough.

The capacitor energy at 5V is ½CV² = 27.5 Joules
The power from the solar panel is 20 mA * 1.4V = 28mW or 28mJ/s.
The time to charge for 100% efficiency is 27.5/28e-3 = 982 seconds or 16.4 minutes. Even at only 10% charging efficiency it would still be less than 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back