Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

changin the elemenf in my oven...

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesofa

Hi, I am about to change the base element in my oven (Lofra - looks nice, but the spares no longer exist) and all I can get is a 2000w element to replace the faulty 1650 -

I figure the wattage will not make that much difference to opperational safety, as the whole thing is thermostatically controlled, but might make a bit of a difference to the energy efficiency (was A rated when we got it).

It's a long time since I did anything involving this much electricity and thought i had better check, as it would be a shame to get it wrong and end up electrocuting the wife.

thanks.

as it would be a shame to get it wrong and end up electrocuting the wife.
'a shame' ...too funny.

Going from 1650 watts to 2000 watt element will increase the current demand by 20 %+.
The concern is; Will this extra current exceed the wiring and or relay contacts that are controlling the element?
You do not say what model you have, the line voltage or where you are at. However, if it's a 120 volt supply in North America, then a 2000 Watt element will draw ~16+ amps instead of ~13+ for the original 1650 W element and exceed the standard 15 circuit protection.

If'n it's a 220 volt supply then you will go from ~7.5 amps to ~9+ amps. If the relay contacts controlling this element are rated at 10 amps then your getting close to max relay operating parameters.

Some electrical things to consider in addition to the physical size and placement of the alternate element.

cheers.,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back