Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ceset universal engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

textex

Hiya,

i hope i post this in the right place.

Anyways i got a ceset universal engine from a washing machine, which is rated at 460W, 13600 RPM, which i need some help connecting.

From a connector it got 7 leads that goto the engine. Two of them (blue and brown) are going to each carbon brush, two red ones go to the rear of the engine, while two grey and a brown one goes into the engine.

I tried putting AC on both the brushes yest, something that didnt go so good as the fuse blew. Since i didnt wanna blow anymore fuses i decided to test it abit out with 12V DC from a PSU i got, and checking all the leads, i got it to run powering both the brushes with DC. But i need some more power than that, so i really wanna sort out the connections for ac. Or should they be the same?

Its an MCA 38/64-148 motor by the way.

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

What line power do you have? This machine is 50 Hz ... 230 VAC.

The 7 pin connector shows that pin 1 is not connected.
Of the six wires, the middle two wires show that they go to the motor drive terminals.
Does this look right to you?
I'm not sure what color the wires are, but the middle two wires look like the ones to connect to. ... Try to look at the wires and not the terminal contacts.

If you are not completely sure what you are doing, then be careful of AC electricity. Keep your hands off the machine, and stand back when you throw the main breaker switch.

... No ... I'm not completely sure this will work ... so be careful when you try it out.

Last edited:
It is a revercible AC motor. It has no magnets. It all so has a thermal sensor. Both the coils oon the outside and the inside need to be powered. Thay have to be in series other wise things will blow. The direction is determanded by witch way thay are wired in series.
If you look on page 9 of the manule you posted the motor is marked "M" the out side coil gos to pins 2+3, and the center coil with the brushes gose to pins 4+5. Thay both wire to the direction relays.
The sensor is on pins 6+7 probly the red wires.

Last edited:
It is a revercible AC motor. It has no magnets. It all so has a thermal sensor. Both the coils oon the outside and the inside need to be powered. Thay have to be in series other wise things will blow. The direction is determanded by witch way thay are wired in series.

... What that information implies is that you would also have to apply power to the two terminals on the motor connector that are adjacent to the no. 1 terminal, which is the terminal that is not connected to anything.
.... That is what it looks like to me.

The remaining two terminals on the 7 pin connector go to something marked with a 'circleT' ... which is apparently a sensor of some sort.

Last edited:
These motors are speed & directionaly controlled, The circle with T is tacho generator, M is the armature, The black rectangle is the Field. The field is in series with th armature & the fields are controled by 2 relays for Reversing. If you just want the motor to run flat out conect Neut to P2, Line to P5, & bridge P3&4.

Attachments

• Washer Motor.jpg
    Washer Motor.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 4,571
That would be 2 and 5 counting from the tacho gen being 1 and 2, right? Got a bit confused from the chart having 2 sets of numbers. About the RPM, i guess id like to have it as low as possible, but first task is getting it to run.

Thanks for replies guys, and i make sure everything is properly earthed etc so i dont electrocute myself :).

I think debe was using the numbers inside the rectangle, with pin 1 not being connected.
Connect the terminal connectors 3 & 4 together, and then Line to 5 and Neutral to 2.
Now the question is how are you going to control the speed?
You might need to utilize part of the washer control chip to adjust the speed and direction of the motor.

user88 is correct in the pin layout. You could just use a universal motor speed controler which uses a Triac, that is what the washing machine is using for speed control but with feed back from the tacho generator. Just depends how acurate you want the speed.

Well i need to rev it down to about 100rpm, a few pulleys and a belt, but the best thing would be to get the motor down to max 1000-2000 RPM using the electronics if thats possible. As it takes both AC and DC i though a bit about usin a PC psu and supplying it with 5 or 12v from there, but cant get the PSU to supply more than a few amperes i guess, eventhough its rated at 14A on the 12V.

I seen some others saying that some of the different wires there goto high, mid and low range RPM though.

The motor wont have mutch torque on 12V, what do you want to drive with it? If you are going to drive a shaft @ 100RPM then you are going to need a gearbox or pulleys & belt to achive it

As it takes both AC and DC
No its AC only
I seen some others saying that some of the different wires there goto high, mid and low range RPM though.
No your motor is a single speed motor, you dont have the different wires.
You can vary the supply voltage to the hole thing to vary the speed.

Its a AC/DC brush motor 240V, in the washingmachine its speed was varied by Triac & control board. In wash mode the motor was run at a different speed to the spin cycle (drum speed was 54RPM in wash & 1000RPM in spin)

Last edited:
Så i basicly need to find a controll board then? So it wont run at max all the time? I guess gearing it down from that kind of speed would require a bicycle wheel or something.

If you wrecked the washing machine, there should have been a large pulley on the back of the drum. Using that & the old belt to the motor, should give you close to the RPM you require using a universal motor speed controller, simmilar to whats used on 240V variable speed electric drills.

Well im planning to use a belt and pulley, but i hoped i wouldnt need such a big wheel. Do you think the speed regulator from a table fan would do the same job?

Or would crossing any of the wires to the engine have anything with the speed to do? When i ran it on dc the speed increased when i bridged wire 1 and 3 if i rember correctly.

Its a AC/DC brush motor 240V, in the washingmachine its speed was varied by Triac & control board. In wash mode the motor was run at a different speed to the spin cycle (drum speed was 54RPM in wash & 1000RPM in spin)
No look at the diagram, there are only two supply leads, how could it be AC and DC?
Besides triacs will not turn off with DC.
So whare are you getting DC from?

Last edited:
Check out the circuit it is a universal type motor with field windings in series with the armature that has a comutator & brushes. This type of motor can be run on DC or AC. In the washing wachine its used on AC & is controled by a triac.

Attachments

• Washer.5.jpg
    Washer.5.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 1,891
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back