Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CES Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chixdigit

I came accross a device that creates a sense of euphoria, a CES machine. Cranial Stimulation is apparently very safe and will apparently relieve you of any stress induced disorder you may have. Theoretically this device seems possible but the question is does it actually work? HackCanada seemed to have a lot of information on the device but it also seemed pretty bias.

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried out this device or anything like it? If so, what were your thoughts on it?

If you are gullable and believe that the thing will work, then you will actually think it works, even if its battery is dead or if it is not plugged in.

they've got gizmos that are sort of a 21st electroshock device.. instead of zapping your skin with a painful high voltage shock, hoping some of the energy makes it to the brain, they use electromagnetitc induction to induce voltage directly into the brain... supposedly it's a lot less painful and more effective. Is this what you're talking about?

or are you talking about one of those gizmos from OMNI magazine, the delta wave generator or some crap like that.

I thought Electoshock Therapy was banned in most civilized countries years ago. Isn't electromagnetic induction something like how a cellphone works?

Well there's the magnetic version with no electrical contact with the head:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation
And the electrode version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranial_Electrotherapy_Stimulation

Honestly, while the principle is potentially useful, it seems completely implausbile that just applying a simple current waveform is going to make a person happy, "fix" them, or do anything constructive. If there was feedback to look for a particular response in a particular part of the brain and the applied stimulation tries to promote or retard that reaction, it's more believable.

With some of these, it's difficult to get a true double blind test and placebo effect is so very strong. I mean, how could people not notice the difference between "shocking" and "not shocking" somebody's head? And say you have a procedure that for sure makes your fingertips tingle and nothing else. I could tell people it's a cure for depression, neuralgia, etc and those who feel the tingle all go crazy that it's doing something. Not really a double blind test at all.

Well, there were reports that it caused some weird trippyness that seemed similar to some people's "alien abduction" experiences. That did get me curious. I also heard other people reported feeling nothing which does suggest more of a placebo effect.

Electroshock therapy (electroconvulsive therapy, ECT) is completely different. It is not banned either, but it has substantially changed form. It used to be pretty high current, done while awake, and used VERY indiscriminately. Nowadays, very uncommon, done while asleep as far as I know. It's viewed as a "last resort" treatment and is commonly considered very controversial. I think it was also capable of shaking up a person's brain but the positive results were likely placebo responses. I mean if I physically shake you until you're punch-drunk, how likely is this to cure your depression?

Last edited:
I checked the HackCanada website, and it's mostly about these CES machines. I got the impression its like electronic dope for canadian kids (guess it doesn't grow well up there). They have half dozen circuits or so, kind of rough designs.
I don't think it's anything I'd try myself, hate getting shocked.

I tend to agree that its not so much the device, but the belief of the individual that makes it work. Its more of a mental focus point, kind of an aid for meditation.

HarveyH42 said:
I got the impression its like electronic dope for canadian kids (guess it doesn't grow well up there).

Funny...up here I have gotten the distinct impression that it grows very well and is some of the best stuff around.

Yeah, I guess kids need new thrills. Here in Florida you can grow most anything, but seldom hear about crops getting busted (maybe crooked law enforcement...). Some firemen got busted last year. These kids are into the chemicals, which I have always thought to be kind of suicidal. There is absolutely no way of knowing what the powder or pill really is or contains, until its to late, not to mention all are considered physically addictive.

This CES stuff is a little intriguing though. People seem to be addicted to using cellphones. Wonder if there is something to this euphoria inducing circuit. We have people at work who can't make it 2 hours (break time) to get the phone out, even though its strictly against policy.

Oh well, if its not hurting one, its no big deal.

Ces

HarveyH42 said:
I checked the HackCanada website, and it's mostly about these CES machines. I got the impression its like electronic dope for canadian kids (guess it doesn't grow well up there). They have half dozen circuits or so, kind of rough designs.
I don't think it's anything I'd try myself, hate getting shocked.

I tend to agree that its not so much the device, but the belief of the individual that makes it work. Its more of a mental focus point, kind of an aid for meditation.
I live in Romania .I saw schematic from Hackcanada but i have need the better schematic( CES ULTRA,Healt Pax).

Keep searching the web. Personally, I haven't any interest in building one of these machines, and there doesn't seem to be alot of interest in this forum. Those circuits on HackCanada were kind of simplistic, and most likely not very stable. I think the output would vary some with temperature changes. They mentioned that this sort of device goes under several differnt names.

For me, I find euphoria in other ways that don't need to be induced artificially. I don't think getting shocked is a pleasuriable experience, but then again I don't drink enough to get drunk or do drugs (even when a doctor forces a bottle of pain killers in my hand). The trouble with these method is that they make you feel good while under the influence, but you end up in worse shape after the effects wear off. For some this starts the chain of addiction. I could see this in other people at an early age, so never went down that path.

I do plan on researching this a little further to see if there is some real research that shows if there is anything to it. Mostly, because I think there is something strange going on with cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back