Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Certifications needed to have an electronics repair business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebevti

is there some kind of certification out there that is needed for being an electronics technician?

like say, to have a small business repairing electronics such as DVD players, TV's, etc?

or can anyone do it assuming they know how to repair stuff?

Im thinking along the lines of car repair, where u have ASE certification. ANything similar for repairing electronics?

Dont need any here in Australia. I was self taught & sucessfully repaired TVs VCRS & White goods for many years. Gave up refrigeration repairs eventualy due to cost of licences to service a small country town, it wasnt realy worth it.

Surely the place to ask is your Local Business Centre?

Certification rules will depend where your business is based, due to local laws, I suspect.

However, I am surprised there is much call for repair of DVD's TV etc....maybe 20 years ago, but with reliability so high and prices low, most folks stop kicking it and buy another.
You might have a business if these Units are to be sold to third-world, but then you run into "standards" and "Regions", issues etc. and these tend to be Charities, who won't want a large Bill.

Good Luck in yr endevour.

debe - yep, here in UK we are under the Health and Safety "police"...knee deep in Rules.

Last edited:
Don't know where you are, so can't comment on the law there.

Here there are no specific legal requirements.

Something like an ASE cert. enhances the confidence of a customer (not unlike MS cert. for computer related jobs) but doesn't necessarily prove competence.

Basically, if you can fix it (to the customer's satisfaction), you can charge for that repair: only a business license required.

debe - yep, here in UK we are under the Health and Safety "police"...knee deep in Rules.

Little of it has to do with repairs - and most of it is simple common sense.

Most of the supposed H&S 'rules' are nothing of the kind, and just something made up by the press.

I did an H&S qualification (for Ju Jitsu bizarrely enough - but it was part of the requirement for getting funding), it was pretty sensible and cleared up most of the incorrect information that everyone seems to believe.

in the US, it depends on what state you are in. some states have licensing for TV technicians (MA for sure, possibly NY and CA as well) i know in MA, that TV techs require a tech license to work on TVs, and shop owners require a Master's license, but there are (or were, i have been in colorado for 20 years) no licenses required for repairing audio equipment or anything else... just for TV repair. it depends on the state (and whether or not that particular state government is greedy for taxes and fees).

in the US, it depends on what state you are in. some states have licensing for TV technicians (MA for sure, possibly NY and CA as well) i know in MA, that TV techs require a tech license to work on TVs, and shop owners require a Master's license, but there are (or were, i have been in colorado for 20 years) no licenses required for repairing audio equipment or anything else... just for TV repair. it depends on the state (and whether or not that particular state government is greedy for taxes and fees).

Is that because of the high voltages, or because of the chance of RFI, or just as you say i.e some states making money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back