Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ceramic parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubeek

Most Helpful Member
Hi, I need to make a heater element, and the final candidate for the base material is some form of ceramics or porcelain.
Does anyone have any experience with making such thing? The main question for me is what kind of clay or mixture I should use. I need it to be tough like for example ceramic fuses etc, and need it to be non-toxic.

If the temperature you want is below the melting point of glass perhaps you could get a local glass-blower to make a suitable former?

I am aiming for ceramics because I want as large thermal capacity and conductivity as I could get, but without electrical conductivity beacuse I plan to use bare nichrome wire to heat it. Also the structure would probably be too complex for glass.
But the point of wanting to try something new might be also a part of it :D

We mabe lots of high temperature heaters using Boron Nitride. It's VERY easy to machine and very expensive. The highest temperature we needed could melt copper. The heaters were tantalum wire coiled on an aluminum form before use in the boron Nitride. Tantalum foil played a role too. The heaters were used in a vacuum.

There is also machineable ceramic.

It seems to be consisting of some glue, and I don´t think that would be good at high temperatures, I am aiming for 150-300°C operating temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back