Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ceramic Capacitor Microphonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will surface mount ceramic capacitors pick up mechanical flexure in a PCB?

I've been reading that they are piezoelectric/microphonic, so I assume yes. It seems like this wouldn't be a problem for bypass capacitors, but could be a problem for caps used in measurement circuits.

Also, anyone know good online resources to read about capacitor micophonics in depth?

Last edited:
ceramic caps are at times known to be micro-phonic.
some other sites report that any dielectric material would have microphonic behavior.
please see the link
**broken link removed**

Ceramic capacitors are microphonic and also cause audio distortion of low frequencies when they change their value with the voltage changes of the signal.
Therefore I always use metalized plastic film capacitors for audio coupling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back