Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ceramic capacitor codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm busy building an FM radio from the TDA7000, and I bought some capacitors. Now I know how to read the normal caps (eg. 104=10,0000pF.) But there are certain ones marked 5R6 and 4R7. These are not resistors, I'm not that stupid.
Please help.
Thank you.

The TDA7000 is obsolete and has not been made for many years. It was replaced by a tiny TDA7088 that tunes by scanning (and it frequently misses stations). Both ICs produce radios with horrible performance.
The Dollar Store sells a "radio" with the TDA7088 IC, battery cells and a flashlight bulb for only $1.00. I got two for free and they work poorly and sound awful.

Last edited:
Measure with an ohmmeter. If they are an inductor, they will be low resistance (a couple of ohms at the very most). If they are a capacitor they will read open circuit.

If they read 4.7 or 5.6 ohm they're resistors lol.

yes an R in the middle would normally be referring to a resistor 4R7 = 4.7 Ohms
a capacitor would have a u, n or p 4u7 or 4n7 or 4p7 == 4.7uF 4.7nF or 4.7pF respectively

Thanks all. Just to be clear for example a 5R6 would be a 5.6 pF cap?
That's funny, because on none of the components lists there are 5.6pF caps.
But anyway, Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back