Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Central Locking Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosijdog

Hi guys, brand new to this forum and looking for some assistance on a central locking problem.

Ok, here we go. My van already had central locking but it was only activated with the key in the lock. I purchased and fitted a keyless entry system (a zapper basically) so it could be done remotely. This part works perfect.

However, I would like to use the Trigger wire from this fitted central locking unit to flash the hazard warning lights when locking and unlocking but with the current hazard warning system in the vehicle I cannot get it to work that easy.

The trigger wire was designed to work on side lights and simply supplies a stab of 12v dc – once when locking and two stabs when opening. I thought it would be a simple case of joining this into the power input for the flasher unit at the hazard warning switch. However the hazard warnings are operated with a “push push” type switch – so basically it gives a stab of power to start them then a stab of power to stop them. Probably done with a transistor switch would I be right??

Now here’s the thing – as I said before my trigger wire gives one stab on locking and two on opening. So it works fine when unlocking (gives a stab to start the flashers then a stab to stop) but only one stab on locking so they continue to flash.

Is there any way around this? I would ideally like a simple solution (don’t we all!) like a simple plug in component between the trigger and flasher power wire or is it a fairly complex solution?

Anything out there that would give me what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance. :)

Stevo.

Do you know the current capability of the trigger? Is this just a signal source or can it supply real power? I would expect the trigger wire to be tapped into the running lights near the steering wheel. The lights would be directly powered by the trigger or perhaps a the trigger engages a relay that can power the lights. I wouldn't look for solutions involving the Hazard switch.

Thanks for the reply Jim.

You are correct. That is exactly how it was designed to work by simply supplying power to the blink the front head lights. I am not sure the rating of the wire but it will be enough to handle the power from both headlights and rear tail lights so over 10 amps.

I dont really need to do this but I am just being picky and would like to use the flashers for several reasons - it looks more authentic, its easier to see when you are approaching the vehicle from any angle not just front or back and also its a bit of a challenge to get it to work!

So really I am just interested for my own curiosity. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back