Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Center-Tapped coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

I have a circuit here that seems to have a center-tapped coil. I don't recall that simple coils have center taps. Also, there are three "T" values that I don't understand. I simply need a quick refresher on coils apparently. Since I cannot find a way to include a diagram without an associated URL, I can say it is a simple coin winding (not a transformer) with a center-tap leading to a capacitor. One end of the coil is marked 15T (or 1 5T), the center tap is marked 5T and the other end, leading to another cap is marked 0T (zero T). I should know this already, but you know how memory is.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Last edited:
T is likely TURNS. Sounds like some sort of RF coil.

Yes, it is. It is a shortwave receiver circuit. When I build this, shouild I get a specific coil type or can I make my own? The center tapped part has me stumped.

As a ham, I have often used**broken link removed**. You just solder a wire to where you want the tap. It sounds to me that your coil has a total of 15T, with the Tap connected to the 5th T. There are lots of on-line Inductance calculators where you put in the number of T, the length, the diameter, etc.

btw-I wouldn't describe your coil as center-tapped; more like the tap is 1/3 of the way up...

Last edited:
Thank You. That must be why the "tap" is intentionally not centered. It makes sense now. I never have been very good with coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back