Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cellular modem chipset or module options

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannaR

Hi all,
I am looking for a solution that will allow me to transmitt data wirelessly to variable distances (100m to several Km). The data packet length is something like 30 bytes. The main challange is price and easy implementation into the rest of the system (contains also RF communication).
I would appreciate your recommendations regarding suitable modules or (less prefferable - chipsets) of cellular modems, tips, prices, etc.

many thanks!

For a start fill your location in, such a scheme (if even allowable?) is extremely location specific.

Using text messaging via a mobile phone system is probably the most common solution though.

Do you mean the location where the future system should work? mainly US (western and south areas, if it is of any importance). It is going to be a custom made system, so I can choose potential components for it, but not to use an off-the-shelf cell phone.

Do you mean the location where the future system should work? mainly US (western and south areas, if it is of any importance). It is going to be a custom made system, so I can choose potential components for it, but not to use an off-the-shelf cell phone.

You can buy modem chips that allow you to build your own custom SMS systems (or indeed a complete phone if you wish - it's all in the same chip).

I would appreciate to hear recommendations about such possible chipsets. How complicated will it be compared to using a module?

Hi all,
I am looking for a solution that will allow me to transmitt data wirelessly to variable distances (100m to several Km). The data packet length is something like 30 bytes. The main challange is price and easy implementation into the rest of the system (contains also RF communication).
I would appreciate your recommendations regarding suitable modules or (less prefferable - chipsets) of cellular modems, tips, prices, etc.

many thanks!

If price is a concern, and since your distances and data traffic amounts are modest, I would not recommend using cellular data modems. While reliable, such modems will require someone to always be paying a cellular carrier for airtime. You might consider using modules that operate using Zigbee technology. Zigbee is designed for those applications where you don't have to move much data, and especially if you don't have much power supply available. While it is mainly designed for shorter ranges like less than 500m, there are ways to make it go further in point-to-point applications using higher power and higher gain antennas. It can be relatively inexpensive, and it uses free spectrum. Reliability when using free spectrum is often a concern, but there are ways to improve reliability of communications that may mitigate these concerns. There are numerous suppliers in this category that you can find by googling. One that comes to mind is Digi.com.

Thank you for your detailed answer.
While the data trafic is indeed modest, the distance issue could be quite a challange. Potentially, the system should be able to transmitt to distances of several kilometers. Though I would be glad hering other options, as far as I know a modem is the only way to transmit data to such a distance

I would appreciate to hear recommendations about such possible chipsets. How complicated will it be compared to using a module?

We've been using the Wavecom WISM0218, essentially if you're buying just the chip you then make your own module from it - although you can implement only the functions you require.

I also have an evaluation kit for the Quectel M10, but not had a play with it yet.

There are numerous such devices, and with most you can get an evaluation kit which allows you to easily get to grips with it.

I have played with xbee/zigbee. You can get the chips but then you have to get the electronics through FCC. You can also get the modules and the FCC part is done for you.
There is a high power version (pro).
The 900mhz version transmits farther and is better for outdoors applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back