Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cellphone AC adapter/dummy battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickylee

I use my Nokia N71 as a modem and it sucks the battery dry in about 2.5 hours. If I leave the charger connected the juice still goes through the battery, which (seeing how it gets almost too hot to touch) probably wouldn't last too long. Would it be possible/safe to:

Remove the small PC board (at terminals) from an old battery;
Build a basic voltage regulator with an LM317 and every SMD electrolytic cap I can scavenge;
Connect input of said regulator to an old cellphone charger/AC adapter/USB cable etc;
Connect the output of regulator to abovementioned PCB board to where the terminals from the "raw" battery originally were;
Make the whole shebang roughly into the shape of original battery and use it instead of one?

Anyone ever tried something like this? Wouldn't want to melt down my only "modem", but...

I would only use a modified expired battery to connect to the cell phone internal contacts, and put the "power supply" external. That way, the wasted heat in the power supply + regulator is not heating the cell phone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back