Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cell phone gps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmadsci

i am a field service rep. There will soon be a day that i have to cheat the gps on my phone. I am thinking about making a fake gps tx so that I can create my own coordinates.

the other idea that i have is finding the gps chip on my phone and porting in the serial data stream that that the gps chip is sending out. Anotherwords I would like to cut the wire from the gps chip and connect my own pic that will have my own preset coordinates.

any ideas out there?

I am scared of becoming a dot (lol)

hi,

Lets hope that the company you work for do not read this forum.

Why would you want to use false position data ?

the GPS receiver function may be built in to the core chipset and not be separate. This would make it difficult to pull apart that interface.

keeping your phone in a lead box and only taking it out when you need to make a call would work, but then good luck receiving calls :p

I would assume that if the phone company went to the effort of putting a gps in a phone (ie. antenna, extra circuitry), that would make the information it obtained available to the user (by means of a map etc.).

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the government had the phone companies put a gps in every phone for the purpose of tracking people.
I'm going to add this so I don't get sued, or assassinated. The above paragraph reflects my own thoughts and I have no evidence of this actually occurring.

I thought this would be obvious, however it is disapointing to see stupid responses. I know that there are many ways to block the gps signals. Obvioulsy that is NOT what I want to do. I am looking for help to trick the phone into being somewhere else.

And just in case one of you brain surgeons suggests to put the phone on a city bus, thanx anyways. My apologies to all the helpfull posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back