Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ceiling light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassett1991

hiya i have brought a new pullcord ceiling light sweet with L1 L2 and COM on which wires go where some one please help me im new to the electronics

Depends what you want to do with it.

If you just want to switch a light bulb using two wires, connect them to COM and L1

Expanding on that.....
Connect COM to the Live wire of the mains supply, connect L1 to the Live terminal of the light fitting, connect the Neutral terminal of the light fitting to the Neutral wire of the mains supply.
But before making any connections, make sure that the mains supply has been switched off at the distribution unit. Mains voltage is lethal. Familiarise yourself with, and take, all the necessary safety precautions.

Umm. To simply turn off the light, use the switch to short the electricity.

@audioguru.
To simply turn off the light, use the switch to short the electricity.
That will certainly turn the light off, and probably everything else in the house, leaving the OP with the task of resetting circuit breakers, replacing fuses, and/or (at worst) replacing burned out wiring or summoning the Fire Service.
@bassett1991
Don't follow audioguru's suggestion. He wasn't being serious (I hope!).

Use an OHM meter to test the switch to see what you have. Use a VOLT meter to test the house wires to see what you have. The black house wire should be the hot 120 VAC wire. The naked copper wire is ground. The white wire may be ground too depending on the circuit box set up but in any case white and black supply power to the light.

Last edited:
white and black supply power to the light
They might in the US: they certainly don't in the UK. Can't speak for the rest of the world ;-)

Use an OHM meter to test the switch to see what you have. Use a VOLT meter to test the house wires to see what you have. The black house wire should be the hot 120 VAC wire. The naked copper wire is ground. The white wire may be ground too depending on the circuit box set up but in any case white and black supply power to the light.

My wires are both red that go into my ceiling switch with 230 volts on one wire ......

My wires are both red that go into my ceiling switch with 230 volts on one wire ......

Things are different in UK.

In the USA house lights are 120 volts and industrial lights are 240 and 480 volts. Black and White power things in the house and the black is the hot wire. In industrial control circuits the white wire is the hot wire red is the typically used for the control circuit wires all wires are numbered. Industrial 3 phase are black wires. If you work in a mine they use high voltage stuff electric motors are typically 5000 volts or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back