Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CE conformity, or FCC, any hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikalogic

Electronic KITS : CE conformity, or FCC, any hints?

Hello,

I am building a simple logic analyzer device. I have high hope that i can sell a bunch of it as kits or as assembled products.

I have set up my own company (ikalogic) so i want to be 'clean' in the legal aspects.

The device is powered from USB and works at 20MHz max. few components :

- ATMEGA micro controller
- SRAMs
- Buffers.

Anyway, i don't have technical questions, but rather 'legal' question if any one here have already put a product in the market.

So here comes the questions :

1- If I sell it as a KIT (meaning that all the components are not soldred, just like if I was selling spare parts) but the micro controller is pre-programmed, does this product have to be CE certified?

2-If the kit is half mounted (meaning only ~70% components are mounted) but device is not ready to work and still need soldering to be used, does it have to be CE?

As far as I understand the answer for the 1st question is NO, and for the second question is YES, so

3- If in case I sell a half-mounted kit, does i have to certify the final all-assembled kit, or only the parts that i mounted/manufactured?

That 3rd question is very important, because, if i solder most difficult-to-solder components, and get a PCB that is not actually working, well, I'll be able to auto-certify it, since the device wont be working, wont be generating any EM noise..

Now, does all that stand for FCC too, can i hope to sell to US too?

If this is not the right place/category to post the question, i am sorry, and please tell me where should i post it.

Thanks a lot,

Last edited:
I can't really help other than to say that you need to use lead free solder, make sure all parts comply with ROHS legislation and use approved power supplies to connect to the mains with i.e. wall warts but you probably knew all of that.

I can't really help other than to say that you need to use lead free solder, make sure all parts comply with ROHS legislation and use approved power supplies to connect to the mains with i.e. wall warts but you probably knew all of that.

Thanks a lot.

Is ROHS part of the CE directives? or is it another directive apart?

Is ROHS part of the CE directives? or is it another directive apart?
No, RoHS is Restriction of Hazardous Substances; for this, all parts used must be RoHS certified or exempt (including components, pcb, solder, etc.). Electronics sold in EU must be RoHS compliant I believe.

As far as CE goes, check CE exemptions. In Australia, prototypes, items for display/demonstrations and some other items are exempt from requiring the C-Tick (along the same lines as the CE mark).

Just keep the business small enough to support you and fly under the radar of the law :)

Well, my plans are like that : I have produced 350 units so far. If i sell them, that means the product is good enough to invest CE and FCC for it. I don't think any one have the time to bother for 350 units sold in Europe or in the world!

CE is selfregulatory (unlike UL or CSA). You can by the stickers at conrad.de. If you get caught with a bad product with a sticker on the penalties are severe.
The main purpose here, I believe, is concern with high-frequency pollution from the uP (limitations are much stricter than the FCC), but that should not be a concern. Stick with a wall-wart or other aproved PS. The simplest product testing for AC-line compliance will run into the k E/$ region. I have been there!

Elk

CE is selfregulatory (unlike UL or CSA). You can by the stickers at conrad.de. If you get caught with a bad product with a sticker on the penalties are severe.
The main purpose here, I believe, is concern with high-frequency pollution from the uP (limitations are much stricter than the FCC), but that should not be a concern. Stick with a wall-wart or other aproved PS. The simplest product testing for AC-line compliance will run into the k E/$ region. I have been there!

Elk

The product is USB powered, so AC is not a problem at all.

Have it manufactured there - but as I say, they will just put the stickers on with no concern for it meeting the requirements, you could do that yourself :D

Yes i could, but then i would take the risk.. (i got your point ;) )

Anyway, does the same apply for FCC (for the US) ?

Is it also safe to start selling 50~100 units then doing a real certification? or are the FCC more strict?

Thanks a lot..

FCC is only concerned with EMC issues (EMI radiation, conducted emissions, that sort of thing). I actually don't know what other governing bodies we have for electronics, other than maybe UL or some such? At my work most things are going on satellites, we have a whole different set of rules we have to play by.

Most of the Chinese CRAP that is coming into the US (especially switching power supplies) have all the certification stickers, but radiate EMI all over the radio spectrum. As a Ham, I have a mobile FM two way radio (2meter band) in my car. As is drive my neighborhood, the squelch routinely blows open as I drive through the radiated EMI garbage from my neighbor's appliances.

Same is true on the HF ham bands (3.5Mhz to 30Mhz). From my fixed station, as I tune up and down the bands, I hear harmonics of the hundreds of switching power supplies within a few blocks of my house. I have had to eliminate these from my own house, but I cant do anything about the crap being emitted from the neighbors. The only hope for hams is to move to a farm where the neighbors are at least a mile away in every direction. That is something I am contemplating...

Most of the Chinese CRAP that is coming into the US (especially switching power supplies) have all the certification stickers, but radiate EMI all over the radio spectrum. As a Ham, I have a mobile FM two way radio (2meter band) in my car. As is drive my neighborhood, the squelch routinely blows open as I drive through the radiated EMI garbage from my neighbor's appliances.

As I said, the Chinese just put the stickers on, with no regard for compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back