Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CD4060 Timer circuit - resetting when relay turns on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmcc

I build this timer circuit which works but I've run into a problem.
What I want to do is have the circuit pulse a relay every 60 mins - the relay must turn on for a few seconds (say 5) and then off again.

Using the above circuit the the relay stays on for quite a few minutes - which is right as the chip is a counter. I need to wait for pin 3 to go low again.

I was thinking there must be someone to mod this, so when pin 3 goes high it turns on the relay and then using another circuit I do a reset on pin 12?

Am I missing something or is there an easier way?

You're on the right track.

You could design gating so the relay is operated for 5 sec, then gating to generate a reset pulse.

Another way would be to set the oscillator frequency so the counter reaches its maximum count at 1 Hour then goe to zero.

Use the negative going edge of the last counter stage to trigger a monostable that operates the relay for about 5 sec.

Here's what I'd do. This circuit mod, with the R2 and C1 changes, makes the counter reach its max count every hour. When pin 3 goes high the added C and R cause a brief pulse to set a latch made from two NOR gates. The Q6 output at pin 4 resets the latch after about 7 secs (or you could reset it after 3.5 secs using pin 5 instead of pin4). The latch, when set, drives the transistor via R3 to energise the relay.

Last edited:
@colin55
Please explain how is that going to give a ~5 sec 'on' time very hour?

Edit: Ah, sussed it now. Good suggestion, colin55. R6 lower end connects to pin 3 instead of to ground. R6 = 750k and C2 = 10uF seems to work, assuming the 4060 tolerates a very slow rise-time on its reset pin. That slow rise time might lead to a weakly-defined end-point for the 5 sec period. Perhaps the OP will be happy with that?

Last edited:
hi alec,
I dont think I posted this LTS 4060 earlier for you, but just in case in helps.
Keep the the 4060 hierarchical and the asc's in the same folder.

E.

Thanks Eric. I did a sim using a 4020 model; but the 4060 makes life easier :)

Thanks for the help guys - the R6/C2 change did the trick. Its about 3 secs - I could play with the R/C values but its close enough and works great.

This is how I would do it.

The 4093 is a Quad NAND gate Schmitt Trigger.

U2a, b & c generate a pulse of about 5 sec at the trailing edge of the Q14 signal, ie. after 1 Hour.

Since U1d would otherwise be unused, it can be used to generate a "Reset at Switch on" pulse to reset the counter when the power is first turned on.

The RC method in the original circuit is a crude way to do it.

It is a high pass filter, so it will pass any noise & extraneous pulses (should they occur on the supply line) to the counter reset.

The reset input to U1 (R) is pin 12.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back