Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CD4000 series going obsolete ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
In another thread I received this news from Eddi40 :-
Just so you know i spoke to an electronics supplier today whos very knowledgeable as a supplier goes and he says in 18 months time the CD4000 series are being phased out with no equivalents being hinted at, so buy em while you can guys cos they wont be around much longer
Can any other member confirm this?

Well that's some comfort. It would be a shame to lose the 4000's great asset of a wide supply voltage range. Can any other logic family support that?

What dates are those?

Who at TI was in charge of showing the dates?

THe introduction is happening on 2010? And the decline much earlier? Nice!

Not sure I will trust them after all...

Last edited:
It is a typical life cycle chart that shows the CD4000 family was introduced in the 1970's and is now in its decline phase. Try to look at it again with that perspective.

John

The dates shown say the oposite John. THey are reversed.

Read it again. The CD4000's were introduced the 1970's. The dates shown are the dates of introduction. The graph is a generic product life graph. I think you are taking the word, "introduction," in the wrong context. It is not a simple XY graph.

John

Last edited:
The whole thing makes sense if the titles would be in reversed order, not the dates.

These devices are made by so many different semiconductor manufacturers so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Nothing on the market can make anything close in terms of wide supply voltages and current. I keep gettting told at work that a CPU could do the same functional logic. Maybe but not at 15V with a current of micro-amps.

I can easily get any logic circuit through our QA dept and design reviewers. As soon as you put a micro in the equation then there are reliability issues brought up even with solid 8051 cores/core implementation/C compilers and assembler bugs.

I personally think the TTL LS series would go due to their limited supply voltage, but you can still buy them from RS and Farnell/CPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back