Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CD ROM Drive Case Project ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I took apart a old CD ROM Drive and kept everything and I was wondering what I should do with the case. It would be really cool to make something out of it, but I need an idea as to what I should make it. USB Thing? Robot? ???
It is the standard size CD ROM DRive

Post an Idea, but it must be not too complicated (Internet Server) or too easy (lightbulb and battery).

:D

Isn't that a little like saying "I have a AC power cord, can someone give me a project idea to use it with"? :p

Lefty

Lol yeah, but you still could come up with ideas :p

Post a photo of what you have to show what you mean by the CD-ROM drive case. Is it one that has a CD tray, and if so, is that part of what you have to use? Otherwise, all you have is a discount project box, and the options are too numerous to mention. Kudos to you for recycling, though.

I've been working on and off on a simple input buffer for my soundcard so I can use freeware "soundcard scope" software using the line in jack. A CD drive case would provide plenty of room for two channels plus switches for x1/x10.

Torben

I was thinking of some kind of fancy PIC project with a bunch of LEDS and Switchez. If you gotta link, post it.

Pics

Attachments

• 1-17-08 023.jpg
    1-17-08 023.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 1-17-08 024.jpg
    1-17-08 024.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 257
Ok, how about converting it into a cassette player. Maybe thats just what i'd do (i like the sound of cassettes and have quite a few!)

you can put it back in your pc case and power it from your pc and also put it into your soundcard.

A PC cassette player.
nice

blueroomelectronics said:
Was that big coil you used on the Junebug in there?
Lol nope. I think I will turn it into some over elobrate random LED Flasher.

stickpin said:
Ok, how about converting it into a cassette player. Maybe thats just what i'd do (i like the sound of cassettes and have quite a few!)

you can put it back in your pc case and power it from your pc and also put it into your soundcard.

A PC cassette player.
nice

That's like saying your going to use a $5000 computer to play paint. :)

If the eject mechanism was still working you could put it back in the computer and use it as a cup holder: push the button to deploy the cup holder and push it again to stow it. :D
You could also use it as a robot chassis. Call it a RomBler....

put your junebug in there and put the case in the drive bay of the pc. run a usb cable into the pc to the motherboard usb header. you could run an icsp cable from the front to the real world, or you could even mount a zif socket vertically on the front for direct programming.

Krummy said:
I took apart a old CD ROM Drive and kept everything and I was wondering what I should do with the case. It would be really cool to make something out of it, but I need an idea as to what I should make it. USB Thing? Robot? ???
It is the standard size CD ROM DRive

Post an Idea, but it must be not too complicated (Internet Server) or too easy (lightbulb and battery).
Why not make a web server that flashes lightbulbs over the internet? :D Over all, the project would would average out to be medium complexity... :p

:D

I like all your ideas (except marks :p), but I think I am going to make a complex LED Flasher using 555, PIC18F1320, and a handful of LED's and Logic Chips to make a overelaborate display then mount it inside :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back