Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cd drive motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

samarsingla

hi all
i recently opened an old cd rom drive. i was wondering what kind of motor was it that dove the cd rom. i should be some kind of stepper, waht is the nose it makes, like as if there were some bearings in that. how couls it be used?? please help if anybody has tinkered with it before....
thanx

The CD-ROM is spun by a DC motor, it may well be a brush-less one, likewise the sled motor is probably just a DC one as well - I wouldn't expect to find a stepper motor in a CD-ROM.

If you want a stepper motor?, try an old 5-1/4 inch floppy drive, they used a nice uni-polar stepper to move the heads. 3-1/2 inch drives aren't as useful, they usually use a smaller, less useful, bi-polar stepper.

shouldnt it then be having two wires coming out of it? it has thre a bit thicker and ten a bit thinner wires coming out of it. also three very small 4 legged ics are there. i cant see the exact configuration, can anyone please help clearing my doubts?
thanx

The IC's may be Hall-Effect sensors to help determine motor speed on spin-up.

It has 13 wires connected to the motor ????? 3 or 4 , maybe 5 I could understand.

i am not sure how many wires go to the motor, some may go to ics only, maybe only three thicker wires are for motors, i am not sure, any suggestions?

samarsingla said:
i am not sure how many wires go to the motor, some may go to ics only, maybe only three thicker wires are for motors, i am not sure, any suggestions?

Yes, as I've already said - they won't be steppers - what use would steppers be?. If you REALLY don't believe me?, try turning them with your fingers - you will feel the individual steps on a stepper motor.

As I also said, they may be DC brush-less motors, which have more wires from the windings and sensors to the electronics controlling them.

samarsingla said:
that was what i tried first of all, i can feel the steps...

The motor is a brushless DC and the "steps" you feel are the cogging due to to the surface magnets of the rotor finding a path of least reluctance with the stator (ie at the poles).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back