Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CCTV issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

On my building there are CCTV security cameras and all tenants can watch them on a TV on analog channel. There are 4 camera images combined on one TV channel.
I have a strange or problem that I don't understand.
CCTV worked for years.
Since two months ago, there is no channel anymore on TV for CCTV.
I scanned all available analog frequencies and there are only two analog channels with test signals. I tried to find CCTV on two of mine LCD TV's and couldn't find them. CCTV was on channel C 66.
I spoked to other tenants and they all say they can watch CCTV, they have no issues, except for one tenant that said to me that they had CCTV on old TV but not anymore on new TV (I don't know if they set it up correctly).
I know that CCTV is installed by cable TV company.
Can someone explain me what can be the issue?

New HD TVs can't display analog channels, only digital.

New HD TVs can't display analog channels, only digital.
Are you sure about that?, as far as I'm aware all UK/EU sets still include analogue capability - although on many sets if you elect not to scan it during initial setup then it will be disabled - you then need to do a factory reset in order to start from scratch, and select analogue that time.

Analogue capability costs pretty well nothing (it's only already existing software), and it's still a VERY, VERY widely used feature.

There have been the occasional 'specially ordered' digital only sets, which have all flopped.

Both of my TV's can display analog channels.
All TV's sold here have that capability.
Lack of analogue capability seems to be a popular myth, 'possibly' because, as I mentioned, it's common to be disabled if you don't enable it during initial setting up. But a factory reset is your friend :D

I won't say "read the instructions", because for years now they have been completely useless :D

It could be that cable company has done a upgrade, it could be that you will now need a form of digital cable box to get the "new channel" its on. Asking what kind of digital equipment the neighbours are getting it on could provide useful. Or reach out to cable company & superintendant for service call. Someone owns that cctv signal inserter and they will need to take the responsibility. It should not cost you anything.

It could be that cable company has done a upgrade, it could be that you will now need a form of digital cable box to get the "new channel" its on. Asking what kind of digital equipment the neighbours are getting it on could provide useful. Or reach out to cable company & superintendant for service call. Someone owns that cctv signal inserter and they will need to take the responsibility. It should not cost you anything.
I asked neighbors, they still have CCTV on analogue channel C 66.
Nothing has changed to them.
It's a mistery to me why I don't have it anymore.

Are you sure about that?, as far as I'm aware all UK/EU sets still include analogue capability
Okay, couldn't find a definitive answer but I think ones sold in the US do not.
It likely requires extra analog circuitry to detect and decode the analog signal, so that would be removed for cost purposes if not needed.

Okay, couldn't find a definitive answer but I think ones sold in the US do not.
It likely requires extra analog circuitry to detect and decode the analog signal, so that would be removed for cost purposes if not needed.

It's almost certainly all inside a chip, so can't be removed, and is just a software option.

As I said, it's a widely spread myth, in the UK and EU as well, but I see no reason for it to be true in the USA?.

In CA decades ago ISP(tv co) started putting QAM digital bands on the cable line, as well as analogs, and also added another QAM band with the analog channels on it, about >10 yrs ago they completed the upgrades, and started phaseing out channel by channel the analog bands, for the customers that wanted to stay analog they provided a A-D converter, which was a free digital box( a basic one) that would convert the AN channels out, now adays there is only 1-2 AN channels left on AN, and now everyone has a decoder box of some type which is serialised and needs to be registered in the system to open channel bands, as a result customers no longer needed to have their coax terminated to "shut the cable off".

In relation to CCTV there is a modulator that is used to insert the feed into the coax line, if this modulator has been upgraded it will now insert the CCTV into a QAM band that the A-D box can work with.

In addition decaying coax can easially loose a single channel and still provide the rest. Which is why i suggest getting support since i have seen many reasons for apartment security cctv to go out in a single unit, and there is not too much a resident can do to self troubleshoot. (besides the basics)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back