Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cathode Strobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane2oo2

hey guys
just a quick question,

ive seen projects like LED strobes that when put inside a computer case can be tuned to the fan rpm speed, to make it look like it is stood still, when actually spinning.

i just wondered is strobing possible with the cold cathodes used in computer case mods?

or does their design not permit this type of application?

thanks
Kane

didnt think this would be that hard a question to recieve 0 replies,

anyway just to show what i mean by the cold cathodes heres a link to a pic

**broken link removed**

they run on 12v using an inverter.
if it would work im guessing the best thing to do would be to put the strobe circuit inbetween the cathode and the inverter, as i dont think switching the inverter on at that speed would be very healthy :p

thanks guys
Kane

To break your "duck"....

Switching the inverter sounds like a real non-starter.

If you can find a suitable switch for the output of the inverter, giv it a try.

Things to consider:

is the inverter output AC or DC

What is the switch on time of the cold cathode tube, I have a feeling it will be too slow for your application.

JimB

What is the switch on time of the cold cathode tube, I have a feeling it will be too slow for your application.

^^ thats what i was afraid of, as they do take a "while" to turn on.

is there was someway to get around this? (im guessing not)

thanks
Kane

You could try giving it a good talking to:

"You lazy cold cathode tube! just buck your ideas up and light up quicker"

Other than that I think you are stuck with it.

Or....

Use LEDs as you originally suggested.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back