CAT 5 minimum current for 25 meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cba421

Hello friends..
I want to transmit 40 kHZ square wave signal from 89c51RD2 pin over a distance of 25-30 meters and drive an Infrared LED(it requires about 50-100mA current) with it. Is it feasible? What circuitry is recommended?
I propose using current amplifier first near the port pin increasing the current level to about 50 mA (voltage level is 4.4 V) , and then transmit the signal 30 meters using CAT 5 and finally ZTX601(darlingon pair) to drive the LEDs . Is it enough or too much ?
Is it possible to get rid of one of the two transistors I am using? What is the minimum current required to faithfully transmit 40kHz (4.4V peak) square wave through the CAT 5 cable for 30 meters to drive the LEDs using/without using the transistor?
Please shed some light!
Thank You!

To do it professionally I'll use MAX485 chips combining your micro.

You send 40Khz from micro to MAX485 "DI" pin & it will send the data via the two balanced lines.In receive side I'll take that two signal wires & input to MAX485 & take data out from "RO" pin & boost via a transistor.

See how neat is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…