Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Casio Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

elMickotanko

Hi,

I bought an old keyboard (Casio MT-70) second hand on the cheap. When playing it the notes randomly distort. Sometimes ok sometimes distorted. Has anyone got any ideas about why? I opened it up and there is nothing obviously wrong.

Thanks,
Mick.

Guess you know why they let it go on the cheap...

Since you got it opened up, a good general cleaning would be a good idea. Little compressed air is usually my choice for the computer. I don't play, but know that some people have kind of a rough style, might look for worn switches or contacts, or whatever the keys use. I've never taken a PC keyboard apart, even just out of curiousity, figure there are 50 or so tiny pushbuttons, couple of LEDs, but mostly little of any use or interest. If everything is clean, and seems mechanically sound, I'd take a close look at the PCB, magnifying glass would be a good tool. I'm sure it was handled and transported with reasonable care, since it still works. But weak solder joints eventually fail, the adhesive that holds the copper foil breaks down and you got parts that will move around. Copper is brittle, can break eventually. Really tough stuff to spot visually, manufacturer wants you to eventually buy a newer keyboard eventually, and most musicians aren't technicians.
Unless you have a schematic, or really gifted, finding a faulty component will be tough.

Try this page...

http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/Casio_MT-70.html

HarveyH42 said:
Guess you know why they let it go on the cheap...
Try this page...

http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/Casio_MT-70.html

Thanks for your help.

I'll try skooshing air into it.
yeah i found that page. i'll just have to put up with it i guess. Im attempting to circuit bend it anyway so it'll be another 'random' feature.

You get a barcode scanner pen with it. The person who sold me it was saying it comes with its own microphone! :) i shouldve asked her to demostrate it

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back