Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cascading boost converters in series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee01akk

Hi,
I am trying to step up a dc voltage from 12V to 340V as an input to an inverter. I intend to use boost converters in series rather than transformers for size and cost considerations.
Are the equations given in many textbooks for calculating minimum inductance, capacitance etc applicable to boost converters connected in series (i.e. output of one connected to the input of another)?

I would appreciate any advice you might be able to offer me as I am very confused by this.
Thanks.

I'm not surprised you're confused, it doesn't sound like something that would be practical to do - and on cost grounds, sounds far more expensive than a simple little transformer (assuming it would work in the first place).

Series-connected boost converter

But do you know how the values for minimum inductance, capacitance for continuous inductor current would be calculated? Would the SAME equations apply as for a single-stage boost converter or would they be different?

Try doing some research on switching power supplies. I know there are books in print that given some electronics background, provide the framework for designing what you want. Unfortunately not everything in print can be accessed via the internet. With that said, there are a lot of good tutorials that can be found at various websites. Hopefully someone here can point you to one. National Semiconductor has a design center that can be helpful.

Does anyone know of any specific books that would cover cascaded boost regulators? I checked the National Semiconductor website but it didn't have anything on it.

Re: Series-connected boost converter

ee01akk said:
But do you know how the values for minimum inductance, capacitance for continuous inductor current would be calculated? Would the SAME equations apply as for a single-stage boost converter or would they be different?

I would expect it would be the same, all you are doing is building a series of seperate converters - treat each one totally on it's own.

The reason you can't find anything about it is probably because it's not something which is done?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back