Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Carrying a digital signal between two circuits...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have a power supply, that gets regulated by two seperate regulators (they share the - and the +), will a digital signal (from a Linear/TTL/CMOS chip powered by one of the 7805s) be recognized by the other 7805s digital chips? I know the Gnd would, but what about the 5v "high" ?? <+ is the power supply's positive TO the regulators !>

Last edited:
If I read the question right then yes. Think about a PC connected to a printer. PC is sending (and receiving data) and printer is doing the same and they have two different power supplies. Additionally think about the use of an opto isolator in data transfer.

Ron

I figured it would, as long as they're sharing the ground, and in your example, they're likely getting the "high" reference through the A/C...? Is it necessary to share the gnd AND the regulated voltage, or would it work (remember, through/tripping the digital ICs!) if they only share the Gnd???

Last edited:
I figured it would, as long as they're sharing the ground, and in your example, they're likely getting the "high" reference through the A/C...? Is it necessary to share the gnd AND the regulated voltage, or would it work (remember, through/tripping the digital ICs!) if they only share the Gnd???

You only need to share the ground, doesn't matter if it's analogue or digfital.

There is no "high reference" only the ground reference. The high (or low) signal is carried by the signal conductor. As far as a circuit is concerned one digital "high" is as good as another, if they are the same voltage level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back