Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

car stereo hooked up outside to a dc regulated power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjl

I have set up a car stereo close to my hot tub out side. The stereo is in reach of the hot tub. It is a marine stereo in a self contained unit. The wiring is all covered in plastic shields. The dc regulated unit is 10 feet away in a container that is moisture resistant. This is hooked up to a ground fault outlet. The dc regulated unit does not have a ground.

My question is ... am I taking a chance here of being electrocuted? Both the stereo and the dc unit have built in breakers.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Without seeing the DC supply and how it is configured it is hard to say. However, I will venture a guess and my reasoning.

My question is ... am I taking a chance here of being electrocuted? Both the stereo and the dc unit have built in breakers.

I would say no and the reasoning is your DC supply provides low voltage DC. Not enough voltage to provide a harmful shock. The DC supply is plugged into AC mains through a ground fault interupt circuit. If on the remote chance the DC supply experienced some sort of unlikely catastrophic failure shorting the DC low voltage side to mains power the GFCI should trip out. Just make sure your GFCI is of newer manufacture and a reputable brand name as well as test it on a regular basis. That would be my guess and the logic behind it. It would be nice if other members weighed in.

Just My Take
Ron

thanks for the response.

The regulated dc power supply is a pyramid gold series ps-skx. It is made for indoor use. I have made a moisture resistant cabinet which houses the unit.

Just don't try this

**broken link removed**

^^^ Well I think it was labeled "WATER PROOF" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back