Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car Radio turning On and Off only when engine running (Bad grounding?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisconqn

Hi, i have recently installed a aftermarket radio with built in display, the problem is that when the engine is running, the radio turns off for 5 seconds and turns on for 5 seconds, and this cycle repeats indefitly. What do you think? probably a bad grounding? should i perfom voltage drop tests?

Car radios had a signal to tell them whether the engine is running. It's normally labled "+ign" or similar. There are also the power and ground connections.
I thought that was a signal that said "ignition in run position" How will the system know if the engine is running?
And, the 5 seconds thing, any idea?
Not being pedantic, just curious.

Mike.

I'd go through every power and ground connection, measuring voltage to a good chassis ground.

Write them all out with the radio functions or labels for each, and voltages for ignition off, ignition on but engine not running, and then with engine running.

Hi, i have recently installed a aftermarket radio with built in display, the problem is that when the engine is running, the radio turns off for 5 seconds and turns on for 5 seconds, and this cycle repeats indefitly. What do you think? probably a bad grounding? should i perfom voltage drop tests?

It sounds simple - you've installed it wrongly?, check how you've connected it - presumably it wasn't just a plug-in job?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back