Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car radio FM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

XgN

Hello,

I used old vintage Clarion car radio in my car, and it played FM totally clearly. Decided to upgrade (some problems with potentiometer and not very powerful unit) and bought https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/dsx-a40ui player. Sound from aux in and power is good, but the main problem is that FM radio sound cranks (that static radio noisefrom antenna) while driving. Tried to check antenna, bought amplifer for it, nothing changed. Short cranks, noises everywhere on the road with all radio stations. Any suggestions? Is there nothing could be done?

Cranks? Or cracks
Or buzz from ignition noise or?

If engine noise Conducted from your engine, add large ferrite filter. From old radio.?
If radiated from other engines...hmmm
If not what does it sound like?

Wonder if a sound clip would help here? A short audio recording sample of the anomaly.

Most modern cars have an antenna amp that is powered from the radio deck so it would switch off to save power when the deck was off. Usually one wire +12vdc from the original radio to the amp was on the interface connector or sometimes on the antenna coax with a power connector.

Do you still have the silicone resistance wire on the spark plugs? Proper resistance plugs?

a poorly define problem leads no where. what does it sound like>

Sorry for my inaccuracy.. I'll try to make sound clip as possible as I can. The noise is only heard throught FM tuner mode (for example, no crackles in AUX mode when playing from phone). That noise comes throught antenna, that static radio noise (as it would be poor quality signal) but only for short periods and many times. There was no noise with my old radio.. So I think its not the antenna problem.It's passive antenna. Tried to conenect FM amplifier - nothing helped. Is this new sony car radio unit so bad, that it can't clearly keep tuned stations? Because every station it tunes, that FM noise comes, sometimes seems that other station tries to get into this one I am listening.

Is it cell phone standby burst related to tower? Dinkata Dinkata Dinkata dink.?

If adjacent channel interference, then consider it is damaged IF filter

Sorry for my inaccuracy.. I'll try to make sound clip as possible as I can. The noise is only heard throught FM tuner mode (for example, no crackles in AUX mode when playing from phone). That noise comes throught antenna, that static radio noise (as it would be poor quality signal) but only for short periods and many times. There was no noise with my old radio.. So I think its not the antenna problem.It's passive antenna. Tried to conenect FM amplifier - nothing helped. Is this new sony car radio unit so bad, that it can't clearly keep tuned stations? Because every station it tunes, that FM noise comes, sometimes seems that other station tries to get into this one I am listening.

Adding an FM amplifier to a dead amplifier output or a bad cable from a passive antenna won't improve the signal. Connect a few feet of wire out the window directly to the antenna input signal receptacle on the radio. If you get nothing or lots on noise on FM the radio is likely defective.

It was hard to capture the sound of this noise, because it's only when moving and mixed with music. I suppose it's the radio problem, not very good one thing from Sony... Tried connecting short wire, seemed to be better, but not the best option it could be. I'll try to check groundings and antenna again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back