Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car power

Status
Not open for further replies.

4u2n

Hi

I am new here.. :shock:

I need to build a power supply

input 10-18 volt
output 12 Volt 5 Amp

best if it is a small switch mode power :D

voltage regulator

this is a voltage regulator but i think you should work on it. :D

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 514
There are two ways to do this:
1. Make a transformer or boost converter to guarantee you have at least 12V. The boost converter can't drop voltage, the lowest it goes is to act as a straight wire, so you could do a voltage regulator to drop it. This can generate buttloads of heat, if you have 18V@5 amps to 12V, that's 30 watts of heat!
2. Look up a "buck boost converter" instead. Cascade works well, but requires two inductors and for the currents you mention they'll need to be big 'uns, and two PWM inputs. There's the Cuk converter too, only one PWM stage, but it will invert the output to positive ground.

4u2n said:
Hi

I am new here.. :shock:

I need to build a power supply

input 10-18 volt
output 12 Volt 5 Amp

best if it is a small switch mode power :D

I found a diagram with small help

Now ? is I want to change to 5A

Attachments

• max668_12_sepic.gif
    max668_12_sepic.gif