Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car external radar detection system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, i had a cool project in mind but i wasn't sure how to start it.

I was looking at the newer car models and many of them have these sensors in the front so that if they get too close to the car in front of them, it goes off. Now, i have a old car and i wanted to see if i could create a sensor system that does essentially the same. It would need to be able to tell me when i am about a foot and half away from the front. Now, this obviously wouldn't work in a parking lot unless another car is in front of me or if there is one of those concrete wall things.

Anyway, so i was hoping if you guys could give me any advice on how i should get started. I recall once when i was part of a robotics team in high school that we used a sensor that would detect distance, but i don't know what they are called. Does anyone know what sort of sensor i would have to use?

Ultrasonic seems to be easier than using microwaves.

the problem with that is that it can fall victim to temperature changes. According to: **broken link removed**, temperature can be a factor. I live in texas where it can get SUPER hot, so i imagine this won't work.

What about optical sensors?

Parking sensors use ultrasonics, it's simple to monitor the temperature and compensate for changes.

However, as you can buy complete units from motoring shops for hardly any money at all, it's not really a viable project - just buy a ready made one.

Here is a radar module made by HYGROSENS INSTRUMENTS.

It contains separate transmitter and receiver antenna arrays and works in the K-band.

Cost are approximately 35€.

Boncuk

Attachments

• radar_dbd..pdf
    427.6 KB · Views: 279
  • RADAR_SENSOR_RSM_16&.pdf
    582.3 KB · Views: 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back