Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car Electrical System to 5 Volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericpeacock79

Hi all,
I am working on a project to put an mp3 board in my car. I would like to be able to wire the board straight into the car electrical system.
here is the unit i am buying:
**broken link removed**

on the datasheet (what little there is), is says maximum 5v.
Specifications:
Operating voltage: 4.5V DC
Current: 1A/4.5V DC
Maximum working voltage: 5V DC
Audio Output Power: 3Wx 2
Speaker Load: 4 ohm
Remote control distance: 5 ~ 10 meters
Sound quality: 32k ~ 320k
Support Files: MP3 format
Support Capacity: 8GB / SD / MMC / USB​

what type of resistor would I need, or should I get some type of regulator?
converting the car electrical directly to 4.5v would be great.

I have in the past, wired LEDs into car electrical system, using the 12v resistors that came with the LED's (ebay sellers from china), but I have a feeling those little resistors wouldn't be enough protection for this device.

My plan is to integrate this little unit into the dashboard and run the line-out and/or speaker out to an pair of amplifiers. (one amp for front speakers, one amp for rear speakers)

which also brings up another question:
The speaker out ports on the data sheet say "4ohm speaker 3W x 2"
Is that output ok to run to a car amplifier?

any help and/or hyperlinks to the resistor/regulator needed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Buy a 12v to 5v cigarette lighter adapter. They are available in junk shops for $2.00 to $5.00 and will pass 1A. Use 1,000u electro to filter the high-frequency. You may have to adjust the output voltage.

Almost all regulators like this put out 5.0 volts. To reduce it a little bit and get closer to 4.5, put a Schottky diode or two in series with the output. That'll bring down to 4.8-4.6 which should be safe.
eBay has small, inexpensive modules designed to do exactly what you want. Search power supplies or power converters. They're black cubes about the size of a Bosch relay.

3 watts is not a lot especially in a noisy car.

Also, I predict you will hear alternator whine. When you do, write back and we will talk about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back