Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleks

Few days ago, I got 2 battery chargers to see if I can fix them. I'm currently working on one of them. They are both of the same type, Switch-Mode supplies. The power FETs (IRC840) are OK and so are the coils. As far as I can see, the FETs aren't getting activated and I can not measure any voltage after them. Their gates are connected via two ICs - "A T530 0721" which I believe to be opt-couplers to the output of a UC3525AN PWM IC.

Behind the PWM IC there are a whole bunch other components, like opamps (LM258), transistors, caps, resistors, and a relay at the output of the device.

I think that something is interfering with the pulse generation. Maybe its the PWM IC that is the cause or maybe something else, I really don't know and I don't know how can I test the PWM IC.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to debug the device even further and get to the source of the problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Aleks

If this is an offline (AC powered) switcher, they often take out a lot of circuitry when they blow. It's pretty much hopeless to troubleshoot without a schematic.

Last edited:
If this is an offline (AC powered) switcher, they often take out a lot of circuitry when they blow. It's pretty much hopeless to troubleshoot without a schematic.

Yes it is AC powered charger. I don't think that I will be getting the schematic any time soon. Maybe I can try and see if the PWM chip is working somehow, any idea how ?

Yes it is AC powered charger. I don't think that I will be getting the schematic any time soon. Maybe I can try and see if the PWM chip is working somehow, any idea how ?

The 3525 chip can be powered by your bench psu....Set to something like 12v applied to pins 13(+ve) and pin 12...Do this with the main power off!!

Scope the waveform on the outputs, pins 11 and 14.....

Having a copy of the data sheet will help you too in checking the voltages at other pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back