Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

car battery amp help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toastedghost

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your input to previous question.
I have decided that a bigger battery is my solution to my power problem.
However would this work I have a DVD/TV rated 12V 5A 45W and I intend to rig it up to a standard car battery 340A would that work?
The normal power supply is a 12V 5A transformer.

Thanks for all your help
regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

you don't need to change anything in your car. One single headlight has a current flow of 4.6A.

Your TV should be powered the same way.

You should check if the TV manual says anything about operating the device with the alternator working.

The alternator produces relatively high voltage spikes which might destroy your TV if no filtering is applied.

BTW 340A is what? 340Ah? Car batteries normally have capacitances of 35 to 65Ah.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Thanks for that but the battery would be portable and not inside the car
Would a leisure battery be better?

Thanks again

Is the 340 amp rating for CCA (cold cranking amps)??? Most automotive batteries have 35 to 75 amp/hour ratings at a few minutes rate. Preference would be a marine or RV "deep cycle" for a light load and long time. The battery should be rated at xxAH at a minimum 10 hour rate. The discharge curve is much more flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back