Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

caps, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbear

ok, my cap meter reads 205 nf...and its a high voltage capacitor in a antique tesla coil...whats the closest replacement that I can either find or make, using capacitors in series/parallel.
Take into consiideration, I have VERY little space to deal with

Is there a listing of standard capacitor values on the internet...cant seem to fin one.

We have several members who are very good with Tesla Coils and HV Cap design, possibly a kind moderator will move this to the HV section where it may fare better.

Also can you post the circuit with a focus on the cap you have in mind as that would help also the working voltage for the cap you need?

Capacitor Standard Values are located in the link below Resistor Standard Values.

Ron

Taking into account the accuracy of your capacitance meter and general tolerances of such capacitors, you will probably be fine with two HV 0.1uF (100nF) caps in parallel.

Thank you guys very much...lol, I doidnt even think of the HiVoltage section for some strange reason

Keep in mind that for any difference in capacitance, you can compensate by tapping to primary differently. I believe if you have a higher capacitance than is needed, you'l want to shorten the primary, and vice versa. I agree with WTP Pepper that two 100nF caps will work in parallel, but you must be careful about the types. They must be rated for more than twice the transformer voltage, and must be designed for high frequency. There are several types that are very lossy at higher frequencies, and these will prevent the tank circuit from oscillating properly.

Regards,
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back