Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacity of Toroidal Core Inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

polashd

I need to know the saturation current & power handling capacity of my Inductor/Toroidal core which I want to use in a SMPS to power up several LEDs.

Infos:
Toroidal core= Iron Powder (size- T44(OD=11.2, ID=5.82, h=4.04 all mm), color/material-26 (yellow/white), AL=37nH/N2)
Inductance=137.67uH (61turns of 0.457mm wire)

SMPS: Boost converter. Input 3.7v (may vary)
Duty cycle & frequency are variable, but for easy calculation consider 50% duty & 50kHz freq.

I want to know
-the capacity (max current, power) of the core
-how to calculate these.

I’ve a bunch of toroidal cores (scavenged). I want to design circuit & use the most suitable one of those.

Anybody Please help.

Go to Digikey's website. They have a good search engine and data sheet archive. Find some toroids there that are similar to yours...

upload_2014-11-13_6-19-56.png

Micro Metals
Material -26 is really good at DC and low frequency PWM. 50khz is about the upper limit. At your 50khz you need to watch the AC loss. You can use the part at high frequencies just watch the AC flux.

Go to www.micrometals.com and look at application notes and data sheets.

You can measure the saturation current if you like. Just apply a pulse of voltage and note the current rise with an oscilloscope across a small resistor in series with the core. The point at which the current suddenly starts to increase is the core saturation point. Normally you don't want to operate the core above that value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back