Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtucker

How do i know when to use an electrolytic capacitor over a ceramic capacitor? I would also like to see some of the properties of each.

Thanks
Will

mainly cap size,ripple,max voltage and speed - (ceramic good for fast decoupling)

The link is excellent.

I think this will apply to many other components.

The nominal value and functional name of the device (example: 1 pf capacitor) is often all you need and any device matching the value and function will work. Other times the value and name just scratch the surface. In the case of a capacitor there can be issues relating to temperature, frequency, inductance, efficiency, etc. Knowledgable designers often employ these extra features in the design. Sometimes a component is paired with another with features (like temp coefficient) in a way that one offsets the other. I spent some time learning a bunch about capacitors and was amazed at how deep you can go. It's also important to keep in mind that not all applications require such great depth of knowledge. Again, the link is really great for many situations.

Peeling the onion back, so to speak, on a particular component is really fascinating. Inductors are interesting because while they may seem simple they're not at all simple, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back