Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Oh, I thought the Capacitor is what stepped it up.... hmmm..... So what do I need to use to step it up?
Its a high voltage switching power supply that charges a big cap up to 200-300 volts. Black Magic uses a current limited supply module so it will not kill anyone. The high voltage can not be switched hot because it will burn up the switchs so thay use a SCR to fire thru a selector switch. This means you have to do two things to fire; Select a que and then hit fire. This would be cumbersom and slow to do a hole show this way.
Every firing system is comprised of traide offs.
Making a firing system this way would be over kill for the main body of the show when you will be using one or two E-matchs at a time.
I would use something like the Black Magic for fronts and a 24 volt switch box for the rest.
Andy

I have read of several people that use 110VAC to fire the e-matches. The problem is that mixing 110vAC and wet ground is a good way to kill your self.
>>A capacitor is like a storage tank. When it runs out there is no more power.<<
The advantage of using a capacitor is that it can be charged up from a low power source with some time or a high power source very quickly. Then when the switch is closed the power lights the e-match and runs out. This way there is a limited amount of power, not the whole power plant, trying to kill you.

Gotcha. I have combined a lot of yall's ideas on this one. The idea 4pyros is not to spend that much money. I just need this to get me through 3 more smaller shows, so I can buy a smart fire system. I like playing with the higher voltage idea... I don't know why but I do... LOL

ronsimpson: Yes I don't like the power plant killing me, that's another reason I like the CAP idea.

E matches are 34 gauge nichrome, not sure on the current.

I would like to boost this voltage up to around 100VDC.

EDIT AFTER TEST:
So I tired a camera flash unit. BE CAREFUL!!!! OMG! This thing is putting out 240 VDC!! But it isnt enough amps to burn the Nichrome, only enough to make loud spark. lol So I need more power.
EDIT: Make that 330 VDC!

Last edited:
EDIT AFTER TEST:
So I tired a camera flash unit. BE CAREFUL!!!! OMG! This thing is putting out 240 VDC!! But it isnt enough amps to burn the Nichrome, only enough to make loud spark. lol So I need more power.
EDIT: Make that 330 VDC!

The camera unit has a capacitor on it. That is what holds the charge and is the energy store which provides the current. See what information is on that and let us know. I think you might be able to join in extra capacitors so that the the power output will be higher. It would mean a longer time for it to charge up but I have no idea how long that would be just now.

Last edited:
so I can buy a smart fire system
I would never recommend anything made buy Pyromate. I had to use the stuff for a few years and fould the owner to be an A&&.
Andy

330VDC 80uf

And yes Im not sure about him, but ive used the systems. trust me, they are amazing.
either that or **broken link removed**

And yes Im not sure about him, but ive used the systems. trust me, they are amazing
During the development of the systems thay keep failing and he was trying to say the crews set them up wroung!
We lost all or parts of shows for two years before he could get it right.
We use FireOne now and its fine. Just got a new wireless its OK but still could use some improvments.
either that or **broken link removed**
I have never seen them.

Here are some high voltage power supplys;
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/643/2095.pdf

Last edited:
330VDC 80uf
Well if you can find others which are rated for the same voltage you can add them. Depending on the uF you will store more charge and so get more power to heat the wire when you discharge it. The downside will be that it will take longer to build up the charge before hand. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on this because the circuit which makes the step up from your low voltage will not be able to produce much higher instantaneous power that needed as a camera flash unit. Also it would be better to use either a wall wart of the right voltage or bigger batteries to power it. Most cameras use AA or AAA cells ( Well mine does! ) so go for a D cell instead.

Im now working on several ideas. And 4pyros thanks for the info, I like the fireone alot. LOVE the 2 wire. How dependable to the wired vs the wireless.

MEMPHIS91; We just got a Cobra wireless system and so far so good.
https://www.cobrafiringsystems.com/
It is good for fronts, you can have many boxs on the same channel and fire them all at once.
I have not uesd it enough to atest to its dependablity.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back