Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

linguist

This is more than likely a stupid question but I would like to know the answer as sometimes the required components are not at hand quickly for design & trial purposes.

If I have a circuit that requires a 250v Capacitor is it possible to use three 100v capacitors in series or any combination that equals or exceeds the required voltage requirements to do the same job. Disregarding the Value of the capacitors for this question.

Certainly one capacitor of the correct voltage & value is the best way to go but if you just haven't got the components at hand quickly will this give satisfactory results for testing things.

Cheers

Yes capacitors in series add their voltage rating together. however they also reduce capacitance. 2 identical caps in series will have half the capacitance of one. this pages explains it:
**broken link removed**

Thanks EternityForest,

Yes I understand about the capacitors in series, it was just about the voltage I was unsure about. Thanks for the quick reply & the link it is very helpful.

Cheers

This only works accurately if the three values of capacitance are the same.

Last edited:
They should be the same technology as well so the leakage currents are the same. Otherwise, you need a resistive voltage divider by bypassing each cap with a large value resister to ensure the voltages divide evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back