Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors & Resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

Why are some Capacitors & Resistors different in colors?
I've seen some capacitors with Black, Light Blue etc., instead of conventional Dark Blue.
And similarly Resistors are Green, Blue, Etc., instead of conventional Cream Color.

I don't know, I'd be interested to find out.

Some colours are more common though.

Most carbon film resistors tend to be beige, metal film is normally blue but I've seen both green and brown before.

Ceramic capacitors are normally orange, but I've seen green and blue before.

Electrolytic capacitors seem to be almost any colour but blue seems to be most common.

I don't know, I'd be interested to find out.

Some colours are more common though.

Most carbon film resistors tend to be beige, metal film is normally blue but I've seen both green and brown before.

Ceramic capacitors are normally orange, but I've seen green and blue before.

Electrolytic capacitors seem to be almost any colour but blue seems to be most common.

Interesting Question! ???

Well no one else has commented so far so perhaps no one knows?

I wish component colour could be standardised, as least for resistors. I would be nice to know what material the resistor is made of, simply by looking at the colour. That way you'll also know other characteristics such as noise and temperature coefficient. I suppose it's too late now for the resistor manufacturers to start now. :(

Last edited:
there is no standard for the colour, but colour coding is standard and being followed by all manufacturer, i beleive some manufacturers keep their own identification by colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back