Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors In Transfomers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakiki

Hi,

Let's say i have a transformer with a turn ratio between the primary and secondary winding of 3:1. If i put a capacitor between the two windings, how do i go around analyzing the circuit?

Thank you.

i feel that the cap behaves like an addition to the inter-winding capacitor.when you represent a trnsformer, you will show interwining capacitance also-- this may add up to that value.

hi wakiki

Do you have a sketch on how this capacitor is connected and also what value
of capacitor, etc.

Don't do that, it's called a "Flux" capacitor and will break down the laws of time and space. You could damage your space-time continuum, maybe even erase yourself from history.

hi oznog,

In the 'olden' days the word 'flux' had a totally different meaning!.

If you had the 'flux', you were in deep s**t, literally.

Regards
Enjoy your Easter

A quick scan of a textbook shows that a good equivalent circuit of a transformer includes the ideal transformer in the middle with additional ideal components added to the primary and secondary. On the primary is a shunt R and a shunt L. The shunt R represents the core losses, while the shunt L is the primary self inductance. Then there is a series reactance (inductive) which is the primary leakage reactance preceded by a series R which is the primary winding resistance. Now, on the secondary side ther is a series reactance (inductive) which is the secondary winding leakage reactance followed by a series R which is the seconary winding resistance.

If you put all these elements into a simulator and then attach your load capacitor and assign reasonable values for everything, you will be able to analyze the effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back