Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechUser

I need to use a 0.1µF 10V capacitor but instead I want to use a combination in series of 0.22µF 50V and 0.33µF 50V capacitor to bring it close to 0.1 while applying 4.5V DC wanted to know is this combination will work.

I was also wondering if this part can be used **broken link removed**

instead of this part. Thank you.

Digi-Key - LM358NFS-ND (Manufacturer - LM358N)

0.22µF is series with 0.33µF will give a capacitance of 0.132µF, if that's close enough for you.

The LM306p is a comparator and the LM358N is an op amp.

For certain applications an op amp can be used as a comparator, but only if a slow response time is acceptable.

But a comparator can not generally be used as an op amp unless a compensation network is added.

Thanks for everyones replies. I'm trying to build a heart monitor and wanted to keep the parts cost way down with what I have. It needed a 0.1µF capacitor at 10V. So I figured a 0.132µF capacitance from a series of .22 and .33 will do just fine. I am confused about the resistor ratings for. How would you know to use a 1/4 watt vs 1/2 watt? If I was only to apply a 4.5V supply?

I am confused about the resistor ratings for. How would you know to use a 1/4 watt vs 1/2 watt? If I was only to apply a 4.5V supply?
The resistor power is V²/R or I²R.

With 4.5V across the resistor, for example, a 1/4 watt resistor would be OK down to a resistance of 81Ω.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back